6. TEN BOOK REPORTS IN A YEAR: THE PACKAGE
This unit is aimed at getting twelve year olds to read in quantity and quality. It could be adapted for other grades and might need to be adapted for other marking systems. The list in number 5 was originally written to go with this unit.
5. Have You Read?
A list of books aimed at academically talented grade seven and eight students with the intention of broadening their usual tastes in reading and pushing them to try something new or a bit more challenging.
A lesson aimed at teaching the important parts of writing poetry: words and feelings.
It’s tough teaching poetry well. This is a suggestion for a unit used for grades two, three and four using The Walrus and the Carpenter and The Tyger.
A unit that combines lessons in perspective in art, empathy and mathematics. Can be expanded to include literature and writing. Can be adapted K-12
Ideas on teaching research skills to all grade levels, including appropriate use of Internet, identification of bias, Boolean logic, using indexes, encyclopaedias and other resources.
- Learning to Love Teaching Poetry (teachingideasoutsidethebox.wordpress.com)
- Finding the Poetry (teachingideasoutsidethebox.wordpress.com)
- Using the Internet to teach and teaching students how to use the Internet (teachingideasoutsidethebox.wordpress.com)
- Poetry – why are we so recluctant to take the teaching of poetry seriously? (coneducation.com)